Your catamaran is undoubtedly one of your most prized possessions and most likely one of your largest investments. Therefore, you want to make sure that you get the best price possible when the time comes for you to sell your catamaran. Seawind is the perfect partner to market and sell your catamaran efficiently and effectively.
As a boat builder ourselves, Seawind understands the importance of how to present a luxury boat to the market. A specialised internal team will work closely with each dealer to make sure your boat is marketed effectively and efficiently and to the right target market. From traditional marketing activities such as brochures and catamaran shows to revolutionary innovative ideas such as augmented reality, we will find the best solution to make sure your boat gets the exposure it deserves.
With years of experience, each of our dealers is highly experienced in the sales and purchase market and will undertake a thorough evaluation of your catamaran before proposing an asking price. With their expertise, combined with the vast experience of over 30 brokers around the world, plus our database of thousands of sold catamarans, they can accurately advise you on a realistic asking price based on your requirements and market conditions.
Selling your boat is a legal transaction and can be full of risk if not handled properly. We perform a market analysis based on a careful search of the market through a number of industry sites and evaluate what similar yachts have sold for. And do marketing for your boat. Once you list your boat with us, the listing is made active for the whole world to see.
Benefits of selling your catamaran
If you are ready to sell your catamaran, look no further than Seawind. We have a global dealer network with expertise to maximize your sale. With more than 35-year experience building and selling boats, we deal with contracts, new registration, and insurance details easily. Besides, we make sure your boat finds the new right owner as quickly as possible at the best possible price.
Benefits of selling your catamaran with Seawind
- Extensive reach: Your catamaran will be listed not only public on Seawind website, which has more than 50K of monthly traffic from serious sailors and boat buyers, but also our own database of buyers, social media and other channels.
- No worries about advertisement: You don’t have to worry about advertising strategy. All we need is good photos of your boat in the best condition.
- Global Dealer Network: Yes, we have a global dealer network that can easily assist you no matter where your boat is located. And what’s more, this network is continuing to expand to the very next door of your house.
- Boat survey and sea trial assistance: We’ve got your back! Usually serious boat buyers will request sea trials and surveys. We will attend those sea trials on your behalf and handle marine survey, which no longer takes you hours of work.
How to sell your catamaran
This step-by-step guide will walk you through the whole process easily. Follow the steps below to make sure your boat has the highest chance to find the new right owner as quickly as possible.
- Prepare your catamaran: This is the most important step. Enthusiasts love clean and well-maintained boat. Make sure it’s in the best condition.
- A picture is worth a thousand words: This seems a cliché but in order for us to help you sell your boat quick, you just need to take good photos. Some walkthrough video tours are even better.
- Price determination: Price depends on your boat’s age and condition. If you’re not sure about this, perform a boat survey or simply let us set a reasonable price for your boat.
- Organize the documentation: All the documentation should be ready before being listed, including boat registration, owner’s manual, and any warranty or service history, etc. Serious buyers will look into shipyard’s details such as date of purchase, mast height, deck equipment, engine, etc. for inspection.
- Negotiating and closing the deal: Once the new owner is ready to sign on the bottom line, our dealer will sort out all the registration, contract, tax, and insurance details. Your job is to keep the buyer feel special about your boat as you feel. Be helpful. In the end, you’ll give the new owner your great boat to start their own journey.
Step 1: Presenting your catamaran
This is the time to revert back to when you were a consumer. What affected your decision? What made you choose your vessel over others on the market?
Step 2: Photoshoot and Video
Bad photography can ruin any attempt to get any good buyers. Photos can help potential buyers visualize the product being sold, thus it’s always a smart marketing strategy to include high-quality images with the description of your vessel. They are also effective in gaining the trust of interested buyers. It gives them visual proof of the actual features and condition of your catamaran.
Step 3a: Basic maintenance and upgrades
There is no greater disappointment to a buyer than to find that equipment onboard is not in working order. The fact that you may not necessarily get much value for an upgrade on your boat does not mean that the Buyer has not put a value on it.
Step 3b: Basic maintenance and upgrades
Check and repair inoperative equipment or remove it from the equipment list. Check for leaks and repair them in advance as a good surveyor will find them anyway.
Check if your dinghy is stored onboard and position it so it drains properly. Make sure it does not have to be removed or inhibit looking into lockers. Try not to embellish things as the vessel will be surveyed and sailed on a sea trial and it may cause you to lose a sale when any details are verified.
Step 4: Price determination: Getting the best price
It’s important to understand that every yacht has a value in any given market. Always remember that the longer it takes to sell your boat, the more carrying costs you will have to incur so you need to factor this into your decision-making when your broker presents you with an offer.
It might not be the price you want but there can be a significant cost of waiting until you can, if ever, get the figure you had in mind.
Step 5: Promotion
Place your boat where the most potential buyers can see it and get easy access. Don’t leave it in your backyard or marina where you can use it on a nice sunny weekend day. That’s when the buyers are out too and they won’t be able to see your boat because it’s out on the water.
List your catamaran with Seawind and we do marketing for your boat. Once you list your boat with us, the listing is made active for the whole world to see.
Step 6: Onboard visits
Always make sure that your broker has the current showing instructions and keys to your catamaran readily available. Boat showings can often be last minute affairs and it’s important that your broker has easy access to the boat.
Make sure that the catamaran is showing nicely when you have clients coming to view her. Stow away loose items so that the interior is showing as nicely as possible. In addition, you may want to consider having the boat cleaned and/or professionally detailed to give the potential buyer a great first impression.
Step 7: Get your paperwork in order
Make sure you find out exactly what you will need ahead of time so you don’t hold up the final sale. Notarizing all paperwork (to validate your signature) is not always required, but it’s always a good idea.
Bill of Sale, warranty documentation, maintenance records and a VAT invoice and any other paperwork should also be handed over at the time of sale. The Bill of Sale should include a description and hull identification number, purchase date, price, and the signature of both the buyer and the seller.
© 2020 Seawind Group Holdings, Pty Ltd. All rights reserved.